At Crossroads Children’s Mental Health Centre (CCMHC) we oppose racism and oppression in all its forms, which have long impacted Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) communities in Canada. We are committed to providing a safe space for families in Ottawa of all backgrounds, where they can receive the support they need without fear of judgement.
We recognize the impact of racism and oppression on the mental health of children and their families, and the complex feelings/thinking- such as hurt, frustration and vulnerability- voiced by BIPOC communities. CCMHC takes seriously its role as an ally organization and recognizes that statements of support must be accompanied by change and action. We therefore commit to:
• Enhance our professional partnerships with BIPOC communities in Ottawa.
• Advocate as allies for all those experiencing institutional and structural racism and social inequalities.
• Explore and improve our agency’s policies and procedures to protect against the impact of institutional and systemic racism.
• Being purposeful in increasing the diversity within our organization.
• Provide all CCMHC employees with resources to increase their awareness of racist beliefs, racial bias and oppression; naming and calling out prejudice wherever we see it.
We are also acutely aware of the intergenerational trauma and emotional burden caused by social inequality and oppression experienced by our BIPOC clients and families. We commit to explicitly acknowledge and deepen our understanding of this hurt and provide support and services that are empathic and inclusive.